Peoria Illinois deck builders & carpenters
We provide quick service for outdoor living space build out. We are dedicated to providing superior design, quality, and craftsmanship in delivery. We not only speak the language of wood but of practical application and cost efficient building using techniques that provide a modern approach to building outdoor spaces for grilling and living in Peoria County and surrounding areas of Illinois.
Deck building is one of my favorite DIY projects. But whenever I start planning one, I’m reminded of the head-scratching work required before I can start swinging a hammer. Over the years I’ve refined critical steps and fixed common gaffes. Here is my process, along with a few tips, to help you nail your deck building project from start to finish.
Your first task when planning to build a deck is to decide whether you’re going to take on the project yourself, or hire professionals to help plan and build your deck. The general wisdom on decks is that they provide a “moderate-to-hard” challenge for even the handiest homeowners, so if you’re slightly daunted by home improvement projects, you might want to hire a contractor to build your deck. <— from HGTV
Planning for a New Deck
- Check with your local building department and homeowner’s association regarding permits and building requirements. Note what elements of the project require inspection and plan your work accordingly.
- Call 811 to mark any underground utility lines.
- When planning size, make sure you’ll have enough room for your outdoor furniture and that you’ll have enough room to move around.
- Think about size in terms of the decking as well. Deck boards are typically 5-1/2 inches wide, so try to plan a deck size that won’t leave narrow pieces at the ends.
- Create your design so that the railings are clear of windows and out-swinging doors.
Once you have a basic layout, bring it to Lowe’s to have an associate put together professional deck plans and a materials list.
Local handyman for evening or weekend repairs
Wood Made Illinois are the local handyman type you want to call if your project is small enough to fall below the scope of a full scale contractor, or if you want to participate in the build-out yourself to some degree, but aren’t completely sure on all the building elements or techniques. Either way, we’re glad to work evenings or weekends so drop us a line to see if we can fit your project in.